Senior Business Development Manager
Volley is looking for an experienced Business Development person to help us identify key areas of opportunity and expand our business through platform, licensing, product, and marketing partnerships. In this role you will be responsible for finding, negotiating, closing and managing partners across our ecosystem, with a particular focus towards the Smart TV market.
The ideal candidate has experience across industries and is comfortable leading and working with cross-functional groups to achieve company goals, including Product, Engineering, Finance, Legal, and Marketing. Additionally, you are a motivated team player who strives to hit user + revenue oriented KPI’s while not taking yourself too seriously. Finally, your core strengths involve strategy formulation, contract negotiations, analytics, creative problem solving, and communication.
Please note that this is not a sales role.
This job offers a hybrid work arrangement. We're seeking candidates comfortable with on-site attendance at our Bay Area office 2-3 times per week. Candidates currently residing in or near the Bay Area or willing to relocate for on-site work are particularly encouraged to apply.
What you'll do at Volley
- Work with BD Leadership to form expansion strategies and build target pipelines
- Negotiate with large companies across Platforms (TV, Mobile), Licensing (IP), and Music to grow the business
- Manage existing platform relationships at the day-to-day and Executive levels
- Operate as a key stakeholder across Product, Engineering, Finance, Legal, and Marketing
Stuff you may have done before
- Experience negotiating with Platform Partners across device types- ex: Roku, Apple, Google, Samsung, etc.
- Proven ability to identify and work with key stakeholders at partner organizations and manage Executive level relationships
- Have built partnership programs from the ground up before - 0 to 1 capability
- Successfully led cross-functional groups internally to deliver key results
- 7+ years of experience
- Comfortable with terms discussions and contract negotiations. Can create business terms on their own and redline contracts accordingly
- Able to perform market research and concisely summarize the key takeaways. Comfortable forecasting business impact and relying on data to assess success
- Can speak across different groups internally and externally. Knows how to work well with people and get doors to open
- Team player - humble, has a positive attitude and a good sense of humor. Can roll with the challenges and uncertainty that comes with Business Development
- Tools: Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Powerpoint, Keynote, Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Slides, Dropbox, Docusign, Analytics Platforms (ex: Amplitude & Tableau)
- Business Forecasting + Financial Analysis - can build a 12+ month impact model to discern opportunities + analyze potential contract terms
- Executive Summaries + Presentations - concisely summarize key information to allow for quick decisions
- Pipeline Building - can show lead movement through various stages and prioritize pipeline accordingly
- Partner Management
Your first 90 days
- Meeting key stakeholders across the Volley groups
- Understanding the Volley business and deep-diving existing contracts
- Stepping into existing platform partnership relationships
- Beginning internal strategy discussions around partnership opportunities
The hiring process
- Stage 1 (Preliminary Screening Call) with a member of our Recruitment team
- Stage 2 (Hiring Manager Interview) with our Sr. Director of Business Development
- Stage 3 (Take Home Assessment) a time-boxed project, compensated
- Stage 4 (Virtual Onsite) with various partners and team members
- Stage 5 (Founder Chat) with our Co-Founders
- Stage 6 (Offer)
What's in it for you
- Your medical, dental, and vision insurance is 100% covered by Volley, for yourself and all dependents and we match 401k!
- We offer a flexible, hybrid work-from-home and in-office work model.
- We offer 4 weeks of paid time off (enforced 2-week minimum), 16 paid holidays, 40 hours of bereavement leave, and unlimited sick days.
- Our generous parental leave policy includes 24 weeks at 100% pay for birthing parents and 12 weeks at 100% pay for non-birthing parents.
- We offer visa support for eligible candidates, making relocating for the job smoother and more streamlined.
- A full breakdown of our benefits is here!
For Pay Transparency: We expect to pay between $154,617 and $212,598 annually for this role. This is a portion of the pay band for the role and level we are seeking. The final offer amount will depend on experience, education and skills. Base pay is only one part of the total package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work.
Volley, named one of Y Combinator's Top Companies, is the leading developer of voice AI games and entertainment apps for smart speaker platforms like Amazon Alexa, smartphones, and connected TVs. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
- Jeopardy - America’s most popular game show
- Song Quiz - a name-that-tune music trivia game
- Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? - a quiz game to test your elementary-level knowledge
- Bedtime Stories - a soothing, narrated skill to help you fall asleep
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars. Our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love coming together over Zoom happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
Underrepresented candidates and candidates from nontraditional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!