Senior iOS Engineer
Volley's mobile games group is seeking a dedicated Senior iOS Engineer to create exciting games and dependable architectures. Our voice-controlled games are developed using Swift and UIKit. Your role will encompass the swift deployment of exceptional features and contributing to the core SDK for future feature development.
This job offers a hybrid work arrangement. We're seeking candidates who are comfortable with on-site attendance at our Bay Area office 2-3 times per week. We particularly encourage candidates who currently reside in or near the Bay Area, or are willing to relocate for on-site work, to apply.
What you'll do at Volley
- Develop innovative, fully native Swift and UIKit games, with a focus on mobile and voice interaction.
- Collaborate with the product team to balance the delivery of features with the writing of quality code.
- Develop well-architected and testable apps.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Expand your knowledge with Kotlin Multiplatform, which powers the shared core of our apps.
- Participate in R&D across new platforms and form factors.
- Contribute to the growth and scalability of our mobile products that reach millions of users.
Stuff you may have done before
- Developed exceptional native iOS applications.
- Worked as a tech lead or a lead engineer.
- Operated in fast-paced environments, focusing on swift product iteration.
- Created products for platforms such as Smart TVs, Apple CarPlay, or Android Auto.
- Worked with audio, voice, or emerging technologies.
- Experience with Kotlin Multiplatform for mobile or backend development is a plus.
- At least 6-9 years of experience in iOS engineering roles.
- In-depth experience with the Swift programming language and UIKit.
- A strong focus on code quality, design patterns, and architecture.
- A genuine passion for games and game development.
- Swift, SnapKit, & UIKit (iOS)
- Kotlin & Compose (Android)
- TypeScript & Node (Backend)
- Martok for shared data schemas
- Kotlin Multiplatform for shared mobile networking
Your first 90 days
- Successfully integrate into Volley’s mobile team (we'll provide support to learn our codebase and work culture).
- Deploy user-friendly features that bring joy to our audience.
- Assist the team in swiftly shipping features while maintaining top-tier code quality.
- Propose improvements to our technical roadmap and project architecture.
- Collaborate with the product team to boost conversion, retention, and monetization for some of the world's most beloved games.
The hiring process
- Stage 1 (Preliminary Phone Screen) with our Senior Recruiting Lead
- Stage 2 (In-depth Technical Conversation) with one of our Senior Engineers
- Stage 3 (Technical Interview) with a Mobile Engineer
- Stage 4 (Virtual “On-Site”) with various partners and teammates
- Stage 5 (Founder Chat) with our Co-Founders
- Stage 6 (Offer)
What's in it for you
- Your medical, dental, and vision insurance is 100% covered by Volley, for yourself and all dependents and we match 401k!
- We offer a flexible, hybrid work-from-home and in-office work model.
- We offer 4 weeks of paid time off (enforced 2-week minimum), 16 paid holidays, 40 hours of bereavement leave, and unlimited sick days.
- Our generous parental leave policy includes 24 weeks at 100% pay for birthing parents and 12 weeks at 100% pay for non-birthing parents.
- A full breakdown of our benefits is here!
For Pay Transparency: The salary range that we expect to pay for this position is $184,500 - $225,500 annually, based on a local (San Francisco) hire. The final offer amount will ultimately depend on experience, education, skills, and location. Base pay is only one part of the total package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work.
Volley, named one of Y Combinator's Top Companies, is the leading developer of voice AI games and entertainment apps for smart speaker platforms like Amazon Alexa, smartphones, and connected TVs. Our voice apps are world-class and attract millions of users every month.
We’ve created several of the top experiences for voice-controlled devices, including:
- Jeopardy - America’s most popular game show
- Song Quiz - a name-that-tune music trivia game
- Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? - a quiz game to test your elementary-level knowledge
- Bedtime Stories - a soothing, narrated skill to help you fall asleep
We believe voice control will be the main way people access entertainment in their bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, and cars. Our goal is to build a destination for interactive audio entertainment, as Netflix did for television.
Volley believes in an inclusive workplace and is committed to building a team from a variety of backgrounds. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive the other benefits and privileges of employment.
We’re a small but quickly growing team that truly enjoys working together. We love coming together over Zoom happy hours, the funny and strange in Slack #random, and occasional karaoke sessions in our brand new Hayes Valley office. If this sounds like fun (we promise it is), get in touch!
Underrepresented candidates and candidates from nontraditional backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply!