Vice President, Technical Operations
Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 23, 2023
Mammoth Biosciences, a pioneering gene editing company at the forefront of CRISPR technology, is seeking a Vice President of Technical Operations. This role offers an opportunity to lead and shape the future of gene editing, including CMC and research scale production of key gene therapy components such as LNP, mRNA, and AAV. In addition this role will be responsible for leading other matrixed capabilities. The successful candidate will play a critical role in driving innovation and operational excellence, steering the company through its next phase of growth to support all of our research programs.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for the technical operations unit, aligning with the company's overall vision and goals
- Oversee a multidisciplinary team, including computational biology, research scale production, CMC, and matrixed resources such as automation and high-throughput screening
- Be a part of the CSO’s leadership team and working collaboratively with the Head of Project Management to ensure the team can efficiently support all project deliverables
- Focus on coaching and developing team members to improve their performance and teamwork
- Manage the production of Lipid Nanoparticles (LNP), messenger RNA (mRNA), and Adeno-Associated Virus (AAV), ensuring efficiency, quality, and scalability
- Foster a culture of innovation and continuous improvement in technical operations, staying abreast of advancements in gene editing and CRISPR technology
- Work closely with other departments, including R&D, regulatory, and quality assurance, to ensure cohesive and integrated operational strategies
- Responsible for budgeting, resource allocation, and operational planning within the technical operations domain
- Advanced degree in a relevant field such as Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Chemistry, or a related scientific discipline
- Minimum of 10 years experience in biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry with a focus on genetic medicine
- Demonstrated experience in leading technical teams and managing large-scale projects in a matrix environment
- Strong understanding of computational biology, mRNA, LNP, AAV production, and CMC processes
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements and quality standards in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Track record of representing CMC for Investigational New Drug (IND) applications
- Previous experience working in genetic medicine modalities (e.g. gene editing, ASOs, siRNA, gene therapy)
- Provide leadership and direction to a broad organization consisting of senior level direct reports and their teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to engage and influence stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to work onsite at Mammoth's headquarters
- Previous experience with gene editing IND submissions
- Proven ability to contribute to strategic planning and execution at an executive level
- History of driving innovation and operational improvements in a similar role
- Comfortable navigating the fast-paced and ever-changing landscape of gene editing technology
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver and ergonomics benefits
- 401(k) with company matching
Base Salary Range: $293,350 - $324,450
The listed base salary range is for Mammoth employees in the Bay Area. Actual base salary will be determined by geographic work location, relevant professional experience, applicable skills, and internal equity. The base salary range for those working remotely outside of the San Francisco Bay Area may differ and will be determined by industry market data for the role and specific region.
Mammoth Biosciences is a biotechnology company focused on leveraging its proprietary ultracompact CRISPR systems to develop long-term curative therapies. Founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel laureate Jennifer Doudna and Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington, the company’s ultracompact proteins are designed to enable in vivo gene editing in difficult to reach tissues utilizing both nuclease applications and new editing modalities beyond double stranded breaks, including base editing, gene writing, and epigenetic editing. The company is building out its pipeline of potential in vivo gene editing therapeutics and capabilities and has partnerships with leading pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to broaden the reach of its innovative and proprietary technology. Mammoth’s deep science and industry experience, along with a robust and differentiated intellectual property portfolio, have enabled the company to further its mission to transform the lives of patients and deliver on the full promise of CRISPR technologies.
It is our policy and intent to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex/gender (including gender expression/identity, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and/or any other basis protected by law. This policy covers all facets of employment including, but not limited to: recruitment, selection, placement, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, training, and compensation.
Mammoth Biosciences requires that all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of at-will employment, with exceptions for medical or religious reasons in compliance with local, state, and federal law.