Associate Scientist/Scientist I - Technology Validation
Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2023
We are currently seeking an Associate Scientist/Scientist I to conduct gene editing translational research within the growing Technology Validation group at Mammoth Biosciences. This individual will make significant contributions to several projects within Mammoth’s early-stage therapeutics pipeline. Specifically, the candidate will be responsible for adapting new technologies developed by our engineering teams to therapeutically-relevant protocols developed by our therapeutic teams, including routine gene editing of primary cells and cell lines, and occasional development of fit-for-purpose characterization assays. The ideal candidate will have a foundation in gene editing research, assay development experience, and the ability to rapidly learn and adapt as our platforms evolve. They will gain hands-on experience with a diverse set of gene editing tools, and the opportunity to interface with Mammoth Therapeutics teams across multiple disciplines related to therapeutics development.
- Independently lead one or more projects to obtain preclinical proof-of-concept for new or optimized CRISPR-based editing technologies
- Routinely run or adapt gene editing protocols using Mammoth CRISPR systems using established delivery techniques (lipid and LNP transfection, electroporation, etc.), for their own projects and in support of others
- Characterize edited cells by standard techniques including next-gen sequencing, qPCR, western blot, and flow cytometry
- Timely reporting of data, analysis and communicating research and development findings to therapeutic research teams
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, or PhD in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biotechnology or related discipline
- Associate Scientist: Bachelor’s with 4+ years of post-graduate experience or Master’s with 2+ years
- Scientist I: Bachelor’s with 6+ years of experience or Master’s with 4+ years, or a PhD
- At least one year of hands-on experience performing gene editing research using mammalian cells
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques including PCR, ddPCR or qPCR
- Experience with standard molecular phenotyping techniques including western blot, ELISA or flow cytometry
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in gene editing research
- 2+ year of research experience in industry
- Experience in next-generation sequencing library preparation
- Experience in performing high-throughput cell-based screens
- A foundation in experimental documentation and data presentation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver and ergonomics benefits
- 401(k) with company matching
Base Salary Range: $105,678 - $131,250
The listed base salary range is for Mammoth employees in the Bay Area. Actual base salary will be determined by geographic work location, relevant professional experience, applicable skills, and internal equity. The base salary range for those working remotely outside of the San Francisco Bay Area may differ and will be determined by industry market data for the role and specific region.
Mammoth Biosciences is a biotechnology company focused on leveraging its proprietary ultracompact CRISPR systems to develop long-term curative therapies, as well as other applications such as decentralized precision diagnostics. Founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel laureate Jennifer Doudna and Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington, the company’s ultracompact proteins are designed to enable in vivo gene editing in difficult to reach tissues utilizing both nuclease applications and new editing modalities beyond double stranded breaks, including base editing, gene writing, and epigenetic editing. The company is building out its pipeline of potential in vivo gene editing therapeutics and capabilities and has partnerships with leading pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to broaden the reach of its innovative and proprietary technology. Mammoth’s deep science and industry experience, along with a robust and differentiated intellectual property portfolio, have enabled the company to further its mission to transform the lives of patients and deliver on the full promise of CRISPR technologies.
It is our policy and intent to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex/gender (including gender expression/identity, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and/or any other basis protected by law. This policy covers all facets of employment including, but not limited to: recruitment, selection, placement, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, training, and compensation.
Mammoth Biosciences requires that all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of at-will employment, with exceptions for medical or religious reasons in compliance with local, state, and federal law.