Associate Scientist/Scientist I, CRISPR Platform Projects
Brisbane, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2023
Mammoth is hiring an Associate Scientist I/Scientist I to contribute to R&D projects run within the Platform team. The Platform team develops next-generation CRISPR tools for therapeutic genome editing applications and is composed of technical staff with diverse strengths in bioinformatics, biochemistry, protein engineering and high-throughput screening. The successful candidate will work on CRISPR tool development projects during their early (proof-of-concept) and/or late (optimization) phases. This is a fantastic opportunity to impact human health by making CRISPR tools that cure genetic disease.
- Plan, design and execute experiments for CRISPR tool development projects
- Design and produce DNA and RNA-based reagents for genome editing experiments in human cells
- Contribute creatively to seed innovation projects through literature review and shape execution tactics
- Document experiments in electronic laboratory notebooks
- Present experimental results at internal meetings
- Disclose inventions to the IP team for patenting
- Other duties as assigned
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biomolecular Engineering or a related discipline. For non-PhD candidates with a Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 5+ years of industry experience or MSc with 2+ years of industry experience is required (Scientist I)
- Bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biomolecular Engineering or a related discipline, 4+ years of industry experience or MSc with 2+ years of industry experience (Associate Scientist)
- 2+ years hands-on experience in structure-guided or homology-guided rational/semi-rational design approaches for protein engineering
- 1+ years of hands-on experience designing and analyzing CRISPR gene editing experiments in mammalian cells
- 1+ years hands-on experience in three of the following areas:
- Plasmid design for bacterial and mammalian expression of recombinant proteins and RNAs
- Automated methods for high throughput molecular biology workflows
- Flow cytometry and/or fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS)
- Next-generation sequencing (NGS) assay design and library preparation
- 1+ years experience developing novel CRISPR tools for gene editing
- 1+ years experience developing novel assays in human cells for high throughput tool evaluation
- 1+ years experience working with disease-relevant human cell lines and primary cells
- 1+ years experience developing and executing pooled lentiviral screens
- 1+ years experience with directed evolution
- Working proficiency with common bioinformatics tools (Benchling, JMP, SQL, R, Python)
- Company-paid health/vision/dental benefits
- Unlimited vacation and generous sick time
- Company-sponsored meals and snacks
- Wellness, caregiver and ergonomics, mental health and education benefits
- 401(k) with company matching
Base Salary Range: $95,000 - $215,000
The listed base salary range is for Mammoth employees in the Bay Area. Actual base salary will be determined by geographic work location, relevant professional experience, applicable skills, and internal equity. The base salary range for those working remotely outside of the San Francisco Bay Area may differ and will be determined by industry market data for the role and specific region.
Mammoth Biosciences is a biotechnology company focused on leveraging its proprietary ultracompact CRISPR systems to develop long-term curative therapies, as well as other applications such as decentralized precision diagnostics. Founded by CRISPR pioneer and Nobel laureate Jennifer Doudna and Trevor Martin, Janice Chen, and Lucas Harrington, the company’s ultracompact proteins are designed to enable in vivo gene editing in difficult to reach tissues utilizing both nuclease applications and new editing modalities beyond double stranded breaks, including base editing, gene writing, and epigenetic editing. The company is building out its pipeline of potential in vivo gene editing therapeutics and capabilities and has partnerships with leading pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to broaden the reach of its innovative and proprietary technology. Mammoth’s deep science and industry experience, along with a robust and differentiated intellectual property portfolio, have enabled the company to further its mission to transform the lives of patients and deliver on the full promise of CRISPR technologies.
It is our policy and intent to provide equal opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, political affiliation, sex/gender (including gender expression/identity, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, age, ancestry, national origin, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and/or any other basis protected by law. This policy covers all facets of employment including, but not limited to: recruitment, selection, placement, promotions, transfers, demotions, terminations, training, and compensation.
Mammoth Biosciences requires that all employees be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of at-will employment, with exceptions for medical or religious reasons in compliance with local, state, and federal law.