Senior Product Manager - Travel Marketplace
Kimkim is a fast-growing startup that helps travelers have unforgettable, authentic travel experiences. We deliver this through a marketplace that connects independent travelers with local specialists who design personalized itineraries, including activities, accommodations, and transportation.
We partner with passionate travel specialists in 90+ destinations worldwide who work with top local activity operators, guides, and accommodations. A portion of every kimkim trip goes toward removing carbon from the atmosphere.
The kimkim team is currently based in a few hubs: Boulder, Colorado (headquarters), San Francisco, CA, and Amsterdam, Netherlands.
About the Product Team
Kimkim is a travel marketplace. The product and engineering teams are building products to help our specialists, travelers, and our internal support team—in essence, three distinct products to drive the growth of the overall marketplace.
- For our specialists: we are building tools to create beautiful itineraries and price them effectively quickly. We build tools to help our specialists manage many concurrent ongoing traveler trips and tools to help prioritize their time for the most likely trips to book.
- For our travelers: we offer a fun and engaging onboarding experience where travelers can tell us what they want on their trip. This also helps us match them to the best available specialist. We are also experimenting with ways to increase brand loyalty as well as create “6-star experiences” during the trip.
- For our internal team: we are building tools and metrics to help our team grow our specialist network in a “quality guaranteed” way. We identify best practices and try to train and encourage the rest of the partner network to adopt them. We share metrics that help pinpoint specific areas for growth and improvement for each partner company.
Read more about what we are building here. As an early team member, you will have the opportunity to shape these three distinct products.
Our product and engineering teams are based in the California Bay Area and meet in San Francisco 2-3 times a week, working the other days remotely. The rest of the company is based in Boulder and Amsterdam, in Europe.
We work in a flexible way distributed across multiple time zones, with most communication asynchronous. Daily communication is over Slack and Zoom; we rely on shared Google Docs, Jira, Figma, and Loom videos to communicate asynchronously.
- Itinerary Page redesign (Figma design/spec)* Loom Videos (Bug reports, feature announcements, spec walkthroughs)
About the Senior Product Manager Role
Your responsibilities as a Senior Product Manager will include the following:
- Write detailed product specifications- epics, and user stories to reduce friction and close gaps in the current product offerings.
- Translate product goals into wireframes and mock-ups and detailed requirements for prototype construction and final product development by the engineering team.
- Drive the execution of product lifecycle processes for products, from product research to product launch
- Drive adoption of the product with training both internally and to our external partners.
- You will evangelize the product vision and roadmap internally and externally - including giving updates to customers, prospects, and partners.
As a small but fast-growing startup, you will have many opportunities to take on ownership and responsibility. We became profitable in 2022, and going forward, we expect to grow quickly and sustainably, and expect the right candidate to grow with the team and take on additional responsibilities.
As a senior product manager at kimkim, you will be given ownership and responsibility for impactful projects. Because of the level of responsibility, we seek candidates with a track record of entrepreneurship or leadership experience, in addition to technical and product experience.
- You will have a keen eye for gaps in product offerings and an innovative mindset to find creative ways to close the gaps.
- You can drive customer engagement and design discovery conversations to understand the customer's unspoken needs.
- You are a skilled analyst with the ability to dive deep into the data to synthesize customer insights to help inform the design of the product.
- Experience driving cross-team alignment with crucial team members, including engineering, and external partners, to understand requirements and ensure business outcomes are achieved.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a willingness to roll up your sleeves to get things done
- Excellent communicator, presenter, and collaborator with the ability to work closely with a cross-functional team.
- Most of all, you are passionate about building great products — from conception through release.
Interested? Please apply with your resume and add some information about why you think you are a great fit for kimkim and this role. Interviews will include product discussions and meeting with others on the team, such as the Head of Engineering and CEO/Founder.