Head of Marketing
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2023
tl;dr: Cord — an SDK to empower collaboration in any SaaS tool — is hiring a Head of Marketing to build our marketing engine. Come and join our friendly team of tech veterans, and shape how we tell our story to the world. We pay well and won't burn you out. Details below.
Who is Cord?
Cord is a team of veteran engineers, designers, and product leaders from companies like Facebook, Google, Adobe and others, that brings the power of collaboration to every app. We've loved working together in products like Figma and Notion, and believe the rest of the internet should feel like that: connected, collaborative, multiplayer.
Our tools shape how we work, and at Cord we're building out a massive vision: connecting teams across all of their tools, letting them collaborate in context, staying in flow and enjoying powerful, rich modes of communication and productivity. At the same time, we enable SaaS vendors plug in a platform that solves collaboration for them in the best way possible, letting them focus on the unique value they add instead of chasing to reinvent chat.
Cord was founded by an early Facebook engineer and a PM from one of Facebook's acquisitions. It's backed by the world's top investors, who've built multi-billion $ companies and led the early investments in companies like Slack, Notion, Figma, Stripe, Robinhood and others. They believe our mission to make collaboration at work more effective will create the next exciting brand and make a dent in how teams accomplish things together, and they're in it to help us do that. You can listen to some of their thoughts here: Index, NFX x Elad Gil, Harry Stebbings x Jeff Morris Jr., Lars Rasmussen and others. We have the runway and their tailwinds to go after this and swing beyond the fences.
But we want to build this the right way: We're a friendly team of grownups who've done this before, and are in it for the long haul. We want to create an opportunity for all of us to do the best work of our lives. We want to create with like-minded, passionate tinkerers and product craftspeople. And we want to build the company that mixes the best from all the cultures we worked in: Transparent, egalitarian, supportive. In our experience, success and fulfilment comes from focus, quality tools, deliberation and honing your craft - not from thrash, arbitrary deadlines and all-nighters. You can check out some of the team testimonials on Glassdoor (Hardly any threats were used to extract these.)
What's the opportunity?
This is an opportunity to define and run the marketing operation which produces great content to educate our audience, inform our platform strategy and be a part of our success.
This role is ideal for someone who wants to go early stage, with all the opportunity and scope that brings. If you ever want to start your own business and learn what it’s like to be involved in a rapid growth, early stage startup - this is the role and the stage to join.
Like all startup roles, there will be a huge mix of work. You might be shaping go to market strategy one day and writing website copy the next. You're both steering at 30,000 feet, and sweeping the driveway.
What we'd like from you
- Communicate the value of Cord in the minds of our prospects and customers by analyzing the market and competitive landscape.
- Deep interest not just in our buyer’s journey, but where developers and PMs get information, and the who, what, when and why behind the decisions they make – then driving changes to our sales and marketing processes based on what you learn.
- Embed yourself in the engineering team to own product launches and translate technical features into business value.
- Own collateral for sales and marketing, such as case studies and blog posts.
- Build and execute a scalable content strategy (focused on video, as well as blogs, community, podcasts, social, events, eBooks) that drives awareness and inbound interest to the product.
- Use data tools and metrics to set strategy, measure effectiveness of content and channels, and iterate on them.
- Together with our Head of Design, own the website, make updates and write copy as needed to continuously improve the conversion funnel.
- You’ll collaborate with others in sales and developer relations to execute campaigns that create market awareness and convert targets into qualified opportunities.
- This is a hands-on, executional role where you’ll be doing a lot of different things, with the potential to bring on freelancers where needed.
What can I bring?
- Comfort with ownership and accountability for key aspects of the company marketing strategy.
- Scrappiness and experimentation mindset: You are comfortable rolling up your sleeves and getting things done. If you don’t know how to do something, you’ll figure it out.
- The ability to balance between strategic thinking and thoughtful execution.
- Superlative writing and editing skills. You can distill complexity and industry jargon into simple, developer friendly content that reads informal and authentic.
- Ideally, 2+ years of experience in product marketing, content marketing or growth roles and experience working in a fast-growing startup.
- Bonus points if you worked on a SaaS or technical product.
What can you offer me?
- A very competitive salary and early-stage stock options
- Best available private health and dental cover for you and dependents
- Uncapped PTO
- A parent-friendly culture
- Whatever equipment you need
- Local (Shoreditch, London) - Tue-Thu in office and Mon, Fri work from home. A thoughtful, focused culture minimizing unnecessary meetings.
- You can become an expert in the fundamentals of developer relations from scratch and into scale. You will have support and guidance from our team of veteran operators with multiple exits and experiences in key positions at $1B+ companies behind them.
- What else? We're new, shape it with us!