Front End Developer
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2023
tl;dr: Cord — a way to add collaboration to any SaaS tool — is hiring a front end developer. Come and join our friendly team of tech veterans, and shape how we tell our story to the world. We pay well and won’t burn you out. Details below.
Who is Cord?
Cord is a team of veteran engineers, designers, and product leaders from companies like Facebook, Google, Adobe and others, that brings the power of collaboration to every app. We’ve loved working together in products like Figma and Notion, and believe the rest of the internet should feel like that: connected, collaborative, multiplayer.
Our tools shape how we work, and at Cord we’re building out a massive vision: connecting teams across all of their tools, letting them collaborate in context, staying in flow and enjoying powerful, rich modes of communication and productivity. At the same time, we enable SaaS vendors plug in a platform that solves collaboration for them in the best way possible, letting them focus on the unique value they add instead of chasing to reinvent chat.
Cord was founded by an early Facebook engineer and a PM from one of Facebook’s acquisitions. It’s backed by the world’s top investors, who’ve built multi-billion $ companies and led the early investments in companies like Slack, Notion, Figma, Stripe, Robinhood and others. They believe our mission to make collaboration at work more effective will create the next exciting brand and make a dent in how teams accomplish things together, and they’re in it to help us do that. You can listen to some of their thoughts here: Index, NFX x Elad Gil, Harry Stebbings x Jeff Morris Jr., Lars Rasmussen and others. We have the runway and their tailwinds to go after this and swing beyond the fences.
But we want to build this the right way: We’re a friendly team of grownups who’ve done this before, and are in it for the long haul. We want to create an opportunity for all of us to do the best work of our lives. We want to create with like-minded, passionate tinkerers and product craftspeople. And we want to build the company that mixes the best from all the cultures we worked in: Transparent, egalitarian, supportive. In our experience, success and fulfilment comes from focus, quality tools, deliberation and honing your craft - not from thrash, arbitrary deadlines and all-nighters. You can check out some of the team testimonials on Glassdoor (Hardly any threats were used to extract these.)
What will I be doing?
Though your mission will be to deliver beautiful content, you will be a part of our engineering team. You’ll receive code review and mentorship from our senior engineers. Our engineering team is largely ex-Facebook/ex-Google/ex-Amazon but also includes coding bootcampers and people with no formal technical background at all.
We’ll teach you everything you need to know (that you don’t already know) to be successful in this role. This is absolutely a growth-oriented role where you could easily cross over into working in other areas of our codebase over time.
- Implementing designs to pixel perfection
- Developing on top of the CMS we use to power Cord.com
- Contributing to a component-based React codebase
Little, but important things:
- A smattering of operations (depending on your appetite!)
Our tech stack
- Server-side NodeJS
What can I bring?
- CSS skills (flex box, responsive layouts in particular)
- An eye for pixel-perfection
- Growth mindset and an eagerness to dive into new problems
- Experience with React
- Experience doing basic DevOps
Also nice to have:
What can you offer me?
- A very competitive salary and early-stage stock options
- Best available private health and dental cover for you and dependents
- Uncapped PTO
- A parent-friendly culture
- Whatever equipment you need
- Local (Shoreditch, London) - Tue-Thu in office and Mon, Fri work from home. A thoughtful, focused culture minimizing unnecessary meetings.
- You can become an expert in the fundamentals of developing a front end from scratch and into scale. You will have support and guidance from our team of veteran operators with multiple exits and experiences in key positions at $1B+ companies behind them.
- What else? We’re new, shape it with us!