Software Engineering, Legal
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2023
tl;dr: Cord — an SDK to empower collaboration in any SaaS tool — is hiring a first Developer Advocate. Come and join our friendly team of tech veterans, and shape how we tell our story to the world. We pay well and won't burn you out. Details below.
Who is Cord?
Cord is a team of veteran engineers, designers, and product leaders from companies like Facebook, Google, Adobe and others, that brings the power of collaboration to every app. We've loved working together in products like Figma and Notion, and believe the rest of the internet should feel like that: connected, collaborative, multiplayer.
Our tools shape how we work, and at Cord we're building out a massive vision: connecting teams across all of their tools, letting them collaborate in context, staying in flow and enjoying powerful, rich modes of communication and productivity. At the same time, we enable SaaS vendors plug in a platform that solves collaboration for them in the best way possible, letting them focus on the unique value they add instead of chasing to reinvent chat.
Cord was founded by an early Facebook engineer and a PM from one of Facebook's acquisitions. It's backed by the world's top investors, who've built multi-billion $ companies and led the early investments in companies like Slack, Notion, Figma, Stripe, Robinhood and others. They believe our mission to make collaboration at work more effective will create the next exciting brand and make a dent in how teams accomplish things together, and they're in it to help us do that. You can listen to some of their thoughts here: Index, NFX x Elad Gil, Harry Stebbings x Jeff Morris Jr., Lars Rasmussen and others. We have the runway and their tailwinds to go after this and swing beyond the fences.
But we want to build this the right way: We're a friendly team of grownups who've done this before, and are in it for the long haul. We want to create an opportunity for all of us to do the best work of our lives. We want to create with like-minded, passionate tinkerers and product craftspeople. And we want to build the company that mixes the best from all the cultures we worked in: Transparent, egalitarian, supportive. In our experience, success and fulfilment comes from focus, quality tools, deliberation and honing your craft - not from thrash, arbitrary deadlines and all-nighters. You can check out some of the team testimonials on Glassdoor (Hardly any threats were used to extract these.)
What's the opportunity?
We're looking for a Developer Advocate to come and shape the developer experience of Cord.
This is one of those rare opportunities where building a developer community truly will make the difference. Cord will succeed or fail based on the quality of our users' experience. As one of the key members of this discipline, you'll be able to help us shape our approach and culture. This is something we're committed to investing in, enabling you to bring great ideas to life.
This role is ideal for someone who wants to go early stage, with all the opportunity and scope that brings. If you ever want to start your own business and learn what it’s like to be involved in a rapid growth, early stage startup - this is the role and the stage to join.
Like all startup roles, there will be a huge mix of work. You might be delivering a keynote speech one day and tweaking sample code the next. You're both steering at 30,000 feet, and sweeping the driveway.
- Build, engage, and nurture a community of developers around Cord’s API
- Own the Cord docs end to end, from concept to coding to promotion
- Create and contribute to resources like integration guides, video demos, blogs, and webinars
Little, but important things
- Write sample code across our APIs - maybe even translate them to multiple languages using ChatGPT if you’re so inclined
- Obsessively focus on the Cord product and experience
- Work shoulder to shoulder with all-star team of highly inspiring/influential developers inside and outside of Cord
What can I bring?
- Curiosity to explore our product and the space around it - and ability to communicate it outwardly/evangelize it
- Core skills to develop with our API, i.e. familiarity across the stack, preferably some combination of React/TypeScript/Node
- High degree of interest/passion for both developer experience and end user experience
- Written and verbal fluency and comfort speaking at developer events
- You’ve already built a solid, existing network of engineers
What can you offer me?
- A very competitive salary and early-stage stock options
- Best available private health and dental cover for you and dependents
- Uncapped PTO
- A parent-friendly culture
- Whatever equipment you need
- Local (Shoreditch, London) - Tue-Thu in office and Mon, Fri work from home. A thoughtful, focused culture minimizing unnecessary meetings.
- You can become an expert in the fundamentals of developer relations from scratch and into scale. You will have support and guidance from our team of veteran operators with multiple exits and experiences in key positions at $1B+ companies behind them.
- What else? We're new, shape it with us!